words you never want to hear

Something happened to me yesterday that was horrible.  And I want to try to forget it or ignore it, but I'm in a temporary purgatory.  I want to pretend like it isn't happening, but then I think back to when I lost first Brittany and then my Gram.  When I talked about it and shared my pain, you guys reached out and made me feel a little bit better and a little less alone.  So here it goes. 

Yesterday Richie and I went to the dr expecting to see a sweet baby bean on the sonogram machine and hear a heartbeat of baby #2 for the first time.  Instead, a doctor (a complete stranger to me), told us that I was going to experience a miscarriage soon. 

I admit that all this week I've been on edge leading up to the sonogram.  I experienced pretty severe morning sickness when I was pregnant with Luke starting at week 6, so when I hadn't felt those puky feelings, I brushed my worry down.  Each pregnancy is different they say.  When they took my blood pressure in the doctor's office it was 140/100.  I just wanted to see my baby and know that everything was ok.  After my pregnancy with Luke, I was a little more worried that I might have issues. 

They made me pee in a cup and did a pregnancy test and the nurse said "congrats.  you are pregnant."  I laughed and told her that I had already taken 4 tests so I wasn't surprised.  I checked the test twice to confirm while it sat on the counter waiting for the doctor to come in.  When he finally did we had a routine discussion about my previous pregnancy.  This was the first time I'd met him.  I had to switch to him at the last minute because my normal doctor was still in surgery.  Then we moved to the sonogram room.

I remember watching the screen and then the doctor asked me several more questions about date of my last period and dates of my pregnancy tests.  Then he said "Well in a normal pregnancy we would expect to see a placenta and a tiny fetus and a heart beat at this stage.  But I don't see that here.  So you are going to have a miscarriage since this is an abnormal pregnancy".  I was searching the screen, so for a minute I don't think it sunk in.  He kept going on an on about health class and cell division and how the body will terminate a pregnancy that is chromosomally abnormal.  I don't even know how long he talked before I stopped him and said "What are you saying?  That I'm going to have a miscarriage??"  Then I burst into tears.  He said yes and told me I could wait for it to happen or I could have a D&C.  It was my choice.  I asked "Are you sure??  What if the fetus is just too small?"  He said that based on what I told him about the dates and my personal history, he really didn't think that was the case.  I also agree with him.  I know EXACT dates for everything.  There is no way that I am off track.   

I was shell shocked when I left the office.  Never in a million years did I think this would happen to me.  This happened to other women.  not me.  Yet here I am. 

After talking to my normal doctor on the phone today, I was told that more than likely this is an abnormal pregnancy (termed a blighted ovum) and that I will likely miscarry sometime in the next two weeks.  If I don't, then I will have another sonogram to determine the status of the placenta and possible signs of a fetus.  The Dr. said that there is a very slim chance that the baby is too small to see yet.  This is doubtful as I know EXACT dates for all of my periods/conception/pregnancy tests.  At 7 1/2 weeks, there should be something there, and there isn't.  After the sonogram, I will have a D&C if I haven't miscarried on my own by then.

It's hard enough know that this will eventually happen.  That I will lose something I have wanted so badly, but it really, truly does suck that I have to wait around for something to happen.  I have to walk around knowing that at any  moment could be a moment I am dreading.  For up to two weeks. 

I know that I am not alone.  I know that I have friends, family, and in-laws who have had a miscarriage.  I know that I am still blessed.  I have a husband who cried with me in the doctor's office yesterday and held me while I cried and never left my side all last night.  I have a beautiful HEALTHY baby boy already.  I have a comfortable house, a steady job and money in the bank.  I have a tremendous support system in place.  I know that I am healthy and that maybe further down the road our family with be a family of 4.  But right now, I know this hurts and it sucks and it isn't fair.  I know I'll be ok, but I also know that this is another part of life that is raw and real and will change me.  Just like when others who were close to me have died. 

A good friend texted me a beautiful sentiment "When Japanese mend broken objects, they aggrandize the damage by filling the cracks with gold.  They believe that when something has suffered and has a history, it becomes more beautiful."  By Barbara Bloom 

At the age of 31, I have suffered some major cracks; they are filled with gold.  Maybe that makes my soul more beautiful....  I'm not sure yet if it is worth the trade off.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet 17 Months

Letters

Advice I WOULD have given