What I learned from my 6th year of teaching

Every year the LA department reflects on what they've learned from teaching.  Here are some past posts 5th year, 2nd year, 1st year 


What I learned from my 6th year of teaching:


1.  I distinctly remember how I felt at the beginning of this school year.  I was really depressed.  I was back to where I met Brittany, and it was painful.  I saw her in all the places that we shared, and all of those places held memories of her.  I had to stop putting my room together to cry my eyes out, and then continue putting posters on my wall.  I didn't think I had anything to give to these students.  I was emotionally out of the game.  But somewhere along the line I realized that here were kids who were counting on me and who could bring me joy if I let them.  I realized that you can't stop loving people because you have lost someone.  The only good, true thing in life is love.  I'm thankful that I pushed through my sadness and opened my heart to these amazing kids.      


2.  KNOW WHO YOU CAN TRUST.  I thought I moved past drama when I left middle school and high school.  Apparently not.  But I also know that it has nothing to do with me or my character, and everything to do with them.


3.  I don't care about STAAR scores.   It's the honest truth.  I care about my students as human beings.  How are they mentally and emotionally growing?  But I was blown away to know that my classes consistently scored the highest grades out of the rest of the on level classes.  I don't think that says anything about me, but more about how hard they were willing to work and how much they bought into what I was teaching.  It's nice to celebrate with them and say "hey guys.  WE ROCK."  


4.  I kinda always felt like an imposter when I switched over to teaching/coaching.  I mean I majored in business.  What the hell did I know about teaching?  After 6 years, I finally feel like maybe I do know a thing or two about teaching.  Maybe.   


5.  Sometimes you feel like you have a great relationship with a student, and then they make a comment about your personality that you feel is SO FAR OFF BASE..... and it makes you wonder if it is true, or if they are just 12, 13, 14 year olds who don't have enough life experiences to make distinctions.


6.  Some kids just drive you nuts.  on purpose.  because they are bored.  


7.  I may have to start over next year and that's really scary.  


8.  I never thought I'd last more than 5 years teaching.  But now maybe I don't want to do anything else.  What if i get a PhD and decide that I want to be a teacher and not a college professor?  What if I can't build relationships in college like I have here teaching junior high?  Seems like such a waste of time/money/effort if i go all the way through that process to figure out it isn't what I want.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet 17 Months

Letters

Advice I WOULD have given