2014 in review

So I kinda like doing a review of the year going month by month.  Even if nothing spectacular happened.  Looking back at last year's review was tough.  But I see how far I've come in a year, and still how far I have left to go.   
 
2014 was a tough year of grieving and moving forward with the new life that I have now.  My life is so different than it was a year ago, two years ago and three years ago.  Sometimes those days feel like a lifetime ago.
 
January 2014
 
Watched Luke teeter totter and FINALLY start to walk.  Watching him figure out the whole walking thing/ shoe thing was hilarious.  At first he acted like they were bricks and refused to walk in them.  He quickly got the hang of it though.  He also got his first real hair cut (besides being shaved bald at 5 months lol).  Big boy also turned 1!!! 
 
1st hair cut
 

Baby boy turned 1 and LOVED cake

 
 

 
Shortly after Luke turned 1, we received the difficult news that my sweet Gram had passed away from her Leukemia.  While I was again distraught at this news, I knew that she was finally released from her pain and suffering.  She was an amazing woman and I strive to be like her in many ways.  I love, love, love you Gram.  Flew with Luke to Utah for her funeral.  Luke experienced snow for the first time.   
 

The last picture I took with my Gram

Luke wasn't a fan of snow
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
February
 
I turned 30.  No big celebrations.  Quiet day with family, a dinner with friends and a little celebration at work.  Luke officially off bottles and onto the sippy cup.  Eating everything in sight.  He loves his food.
 
March
 
Luke caught a virus.  Fever over 100 degrees for more than 5 days.  This always causes him to break out in a fever rash.
 
the rash usually lasts for days
 
 
April
 
Luke enjoys bath time, running around the park, eating and hanging out with Mommy and Daddy. 
 
May
We have started using time outs with him.  6 months later, it has been very effective in helping him realize his behavior impacts the consequences.  Luke took his first trip to the zoo.  For the first time in the 25 years that I have lived in Texas, I took blue bonnet pics!   
 
time out corner at home
 
 
 
blue bonnet pics!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
June
I flew to California by myself to meet baby Monroe for the first time!  I loved spending time with Monroe, Perle, Ashley, Sharon and Andre.
 
Baby snuggles with Monroe
love these girls
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Luke started swimming lessons.  He loved the pool and took to it quickly.  I turned his car seat around so that it was forward facing.  Luke went to Sea World for the first time. 
 
 
swim lessons!
 
forward facing is a blast!
 
 
 
July
 
Richie and I went to Colorado without Luke.  We have so  much fun.  It was nice to relax and remember how much I have with him.  After 10 years together, I STILL really enjoy his company
 
 
 
Garden of Gods - Colorado
Fly Fishing - Colorado
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Luke decides to take this time away from us to contract Hand, Foot and Mouth disease.  It was no fun for the grandparents.  I'm not gonna lie, it was nasty.  And I didn't even experience the worst of it. 
 
all down the back of his legs
all down his arms and his hands
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We road tripped to Dallas to visit family.  Luke did so well on the drive!
 
 
August
I signed Luke up for a soccer skills class.  It was like herding a cat at first.  But by the end of it, he was doing much better.  Still not 100% able to participate, but he did about 70% and was not crying anymore.  I'll take that as a successful endeavor.
 
not so sure about soccer
 
 
 
September
Celebrated Richie's 32nd birthday. 
 
October
The only thing we did for Halloween was go to a church festival.  But Luke dressed up like Captain America. 
Halloween fun
 
 
 
November
Luke had a great Thanksgiving EATING more food than I thought possible.  This kid can eat.  We also took some family pictures.  This is difficult at his age.  lol  Luke started using the big boy potty but we are FAR from being done with diapers
 
 
wiggle worm
I love food!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
December
Luke got to spend a lot of quality time with his family.  He understood the concept of opening gifts, but he often stopped after the first gift because he just wanted to play with that gift.  He enjoyed "helping" us and looking at the decorations though.  We also made a "gingerbread" house and he helped decorate (ie eat) Christmas cookies.  a good time was had by all.  
 
 
 
Looking at the tree
looking at the village
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
Luke helping with the tree
 
Luke helping with the outdoor lights
Luke decorating (mostly eating) cookies

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Luke decorating a "gingerbread" house


 
 
In 2015, I am looking forward to many new things.  They include:
-  getting accepted into a PhD program
-  watching Luke's personality grow even more as he becomes even more verbal than he is right now
-  potty training Luke fully
-  crossing something else off of my bucket list


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet 17 Months

Letters

Advice I WOULD have given